Willies Mchunu to be officially sworn-in as KZN premier

 

Transport MEC, Willies Mchunu will on Wednesday be permanently be elected and sworn-in as the new Premier of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).

Willies Mchunu on Tuesday was sworn in as the acting premier of the province, following Senzo Mchunu’s premature exit from the office.

On Monday Senzo Mchunu handed in his resignation following mounting pressure from the African National Congress (ANC).

Rumours that Senzo Mchunu was expected to resign surfaced on Monday after the party allegedly gave him his marching orders on Friday and finally on Monday later, it was reported that Mchunu resigned from the post.

Senzo Mchunu was ousted as the provincial leader of the African National Congress last year, when Sihle Zikalala took over at the helm.

Political Parties within the Province have also voiced their disappointments over Senzo Mchunu’s resignation.

Democratic Alliance’s (DA) KZN leader, Zakhele Mncwango said Mchunu’s departure was more proof that the ruling party could not be trusted.

Inkatha Freedom Party’s (IFP) leader Blessed Gwala said they are concerned that if Mchunu’s resignation is being influenced by the political infighting within the ruling party, it can serve to increase violence in the province.

Willies Mchunu’s election and swearing will take place during a setting of the house.

 

DA’s manner of address odious – SADTU

The South African Democratic Teachers Union (SADTU) has been angered by the Democratic Alliance’s “odious tone” of address.

SADTU said it disapproves the manner in which the DA press releases are consistently racist, patronising and condescending in tone.

“We particularly dislike the way the DA uses the word “must” when they are addressing largely Black organisations. The days are gone when whites could tell any Black person what to do in that tone of voice, and be obeyed. We find this way of talking odious, whether it is done by Mr Davis or any other DA member,” said SADTU.

“There is no “must” for the DA. We are not in a “Cape Colony” any more,” added SADTU.

SADTU’s anger comes after the DA on Saturday, following the release of the ‘Jobs for cash’ report said they “want” SADTU to face the music.

SADTU said it wishes to remind the public and media that they were not found guilty or responsible for the selling of post.

On Friday Midnight, Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga released the controversial ‘Jobs for cash’ report.

The Department released the report, saying 38 cases have grounds for further investigations for possible criminal charges.

By Senzile Kubheka

 

 

Search for new Public Protector gets underway

A multi-party committee has been established by the National Assembly to handle the process of appointing a new Public Protector.

This is after current Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s seven year non-renewable period and term of office ends in October 2016.

The committee will be liable for deciding who will fill Madonsela’s position.  The committee will consist of 11 Members of Parliament, with six African National Congress (ANC) MPs, two Democratic Alliance (DA) MPs, one Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) MP and two from other parties.

ANC Chief Whip Jackson Mthembu introduced a motion for the committee’s establishment in the National Assembly on Tuesday.

He also said they are confident that the committee will emerge with a suitable candidate that will continue with the institution’s work of ensuring good governance and strengthening our constitutional democracy.

Mandosela’s term of office has been eventful, as we have seen her investigate the infamous security upgrades at President Jacob Zuma’s Nkandla home.

In March the Constitutional court ruled that the Public Protectors powers are binding and then ordered the President to pay back a reasonable price of the amount used for his homestead.

Facing a number of challenges in her corruption-buster journey, Madonsela in 2014 was subject to state security as claims that she is a CIA spy emerged, leading to a probe.

And earlier this month, a reliable source, told Madonsela that a Western Cape boss was paid R740 000 to have her assassinated.

Recently, the German Africa Foundation has awarded Madonsela with the German Africa Prize Award 2016. The award is bestowed on Africans who demonstrate exceptional commitment towards promoting peace‚ rule of law‚ democracy‚ human rights and culture on the African continent.

By Senzile Kubheka

Treasury says it will meet Constitutional Court deadline

The Nkandla report is progressing well and the department will be able to meet the deadline, said the National Treasury.

This is after the Constitutional Court on the Nkandla saga ruled that the National Treasury must determine a reasonable percentage of the amount President Jacob Zuma will personally pay and also report back to Court within 60 days.

The Treasury issued a statement saying it will meet the courts deadline, as it has until 28 June to report back to the court.

“It should be noted that the 60 days cited by the Constitutional Court refer to court days therefore, weekends and public holidays are excluded,” said the Treasury.

The Treasury further said it has concluded several steps and the assessment and final report will be submitted to the Constitutional Court in due course.

“A detailed account of the work that has been undertaken, including the methodology followed will be made public at an appropriate time,” added the Treasury.

By Senzile Kubheka

State coughs out R9 million for Zuma’s wives vehicles

A total of about R9 million has been used by President Jacob Zuma to buy luxury cars for his wives between 2013 and 2016, said Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko on Tuesday.

Nhleko said ten vehicles were bought with the budget of the police department. Vehicles purchased for Zuma’s wives included Range Rover SUVs‚ two Land Rover Discovery SUVs and five Audi SUVs and sedans.

The Minister uttered this as he was replying to a parliamentary question asked by Democratic Alliance’s (DA) Member of Parliament Zakhele Mbhele.

In response to the question, Nhleko said the purchases were necessary “to provide comprehensive protection of VIP spouses”.

While South Africa’s first ladies prefer to travel in luxury, Cabinet ministers themselves have been requested to purchase modest luxury vehicles by Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan, as part of a general belt-tightening required by government in order for it to achieve its fiscal consolidation targets.

Mbhele was critical of the purchases, saying the R9 million could have funded 116 university students for a year and could also have been used to hire an additional 61 police officers for a year.

 

KZN opposition parties vexed by Senzo Mchunu’s resignation

 

Political Parties in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) believe Senzo Mchunu’s premature exit from the office of the Premier will have a terrible impact on the impact on the economy of the province.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) said the political instability of the province is concerning, as it could cause a lot of damage.

DA’s KZN leader, Zakhele Mncwango said Mchunu’s departure was more proof that the ruling party could not be trusted.

“The long awaited resignation of KZN Premier, Senzo Mchunu, came as no surprise to the Democratic Alliance who has long held that he has been more preoccupied with internal factional battles rather than delivering the basic services the ANC government in KZN promised to when he was elected,” said Mncwango.

“The forced resignation proves just how the ANC in the province is battling with internal machinations instead of delivering services to the people that they so desperately need,” he said.

IFP’s leader Blessed Gwala said they are concerned that if Mchunu’s resignation is being influenced by the political infighting within the ruling party, it can serve to increase violence in the province.

“It would be very sad if the proposed reshuffle is being used as a vehicle to settle political scores or to reward those who support a particular grouping within the ANC…” said Gwala.

“Political uncertainty can also have negative economic implications. Therefore we hope the process is managed in the interest of the province as a whole,” he said.

Rumours that Premier Mchunu was expected to resign surfaced on Monday after the party allegedly gave him his marching orders on Friday and finally on Monday later, it was reported that Mchunu resigned from the post.

Mchunu was ousted as the provincial leader of the African National Congress last year, when Sihle Zikalala took over at the helm.

He will be replaced by will be replaced by current Transport MEC Willies Mchunu, who is the ally to ANC chair Sihle Zikalala.

 

 

NPA to appeal Zuma’s spy tape judgement

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) boss Shaun Abrahams has revealed that the NPA will seek leave to appeal the High Court’s decision to have President Jacob Zuma’s corruption charges reinstated.

Abrahams said the decision whether to reinstate the charges or not requires the decision of an Appeal court. He was addressing the media in Pretoria.

Before the big revelation Abrahams reiterated that the decision is not in favour of any individual, whether high profiled or not. He also said that he is set to carry out his duties without any favour or fear.

“I will always do what is correct, irrespective of whether the individual is an ordinary person, a cabinet minister or a sitting president,” said Abrahams.

In April, the North Gauteng High Court ruled that the NPA’s April 2009 decision to drop 783 charges against Zuma was irrational and must be reviewed.

High Court’s Deputy Judge President Aubrey Ledwaba said Mpshe dropped the charges as he was placed under pressure.

The then acting National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP), Mokotedi Mpshe, threw the case out on the basis that the so-called spy tapes recordings of tapped phone calls between senior officials in the Thabo Mbeki administration, suggested they manipulated the timing of Zuma’s indictment for fraud, corruption and racketeering for political reasons.

Mpshe’s decision was in favour of Zuma, which then allowed Zuma to run for president.

The corruption charges against the President, which amount to more than 700, relate to the Arms Deal of the late 1990s.

But in April, Zuma made public the Seriti Commission findings, which had found no evidence of corruption or fraud relating to the Arms Deal, despite damning international evidence to the contrary.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) took the case to the High Court to have the decision relating to the dropping of the 783 charges of corruption levelled against Zuma to be reviewed.

The Party has been challenging the rationality of the NPA dropping the charges against Zuma in 2009 for seven years.

By Senzile Kubheka

Mahlobo turns a blind eye to Maine’s “war” comments

Minister of State Security David Mahlobo has turned a blind eye to African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) President Collen Maine’s comments to the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF).

Maine said the EFF should be given “war”, following the brawl during the removal of EFF MPs by Parliament’s protection service on last Tuesday.

Maine said “If they want a fight, they must be given war”, and reiterated he meant this literally because the EFF were doing it literally.

This was not the first time Malema and Maine insinuate talks of war through the media.

Last month Malema made comments on a TV Al Jazeera, where he said they will use the “barrel of a gun” to remove the current government, if the upcoming local government elections are rigged.

Maine fired back and said they will call on the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) to give Malema the war he was calling for.

The ANC then opened a high treason charge against EFF leader, saying they will not take Malema’s comments lightly.

Mahlobo also slammed at Malema saying SA’s law enforcement agencies were pursuing criminal charges against him.

But since Maine’s recent comments on war, Mahlobo and his department have not taken any action to reprimand or condemn the leader, as he did with EFF leader.

On the other side ANC Chief Whip Jackson Mthembu has said the ANC “distances itself from Maine’s comments.

By Senzile Kubheka

Brazillians crowned PSL champions

Mamelodi Sundowns (Brazillians) have cooped their 7th title league in the Absa Premier Soccer League (PSL) with a record breaking 71 points

The Brazilians were crowned the 2015/2016 PSL champions, after their 1-0 win against rivals Platinum Stars.

The game took place at Lucas Moripe Stadium, where the hosts failed to produce an equalizer against the Downs.

The Platinum Stars were given a chance to level up when they won a penalty after Thabo Nthethe faulted during the game, however they failed to.

Khama Billiant is the individual who scored against Dikwena, bringing the Downs points to be tallied up to a record breaking 71.

By Senzile Kubheka

Amakhosi End Season in fifth place

Kaizer Chiefs will end the season in fifth place in the Premier Soccer League (PSL) as they were defeated by Chippa United in their last game of the season.

The game took place at the FNB Stadium and where hosts of the game were defeated 2-0, with goals scored by Buyani Sali and Lerato Manzini.

The hosted took charge and led the game in the 20th minute of the game when Sali calmly delivered a goal past Itumeleng Khune.

Amakhosi had several attempts to level matters but dismally failed to control the ball and locate the box.

Even with Chiefs having the most possession statistics in the first half,they couldn’t find the back of the net, as Daniel Akpeyi produced a great saver, keeping out Wilard Katsande’s header.

In the 67th minute of the game Chippa’s Manzini fired a goal past Khune and gave Chippa a 2-0 lead.

Amakhosi’s somewhat disappointing season, has caused them to miss out on a spot to part take on the CAF Confederation Cup.

By Senzile Kubheka