Ndlozi disses Parliament lawyers

Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) National Spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi has indirectly requested the Parliament’s Ad Hoc Committee conducting the SABC inquiry to shy away from using Parliament lawyers for the court battle of Friday.

The Ad hoc committee earlier on Tuesday held a preparatory meeting for the SABC inquiry.

It was during the meeting that Ndlozi said he doesn’t “trust parliament lawyers” as he has emerged victorious over them a number of times.

“Personally you know I don’t trust Parliament lawyers, well I have beaten them a lot in court, I don’t want to be beaten this time on Friday, I have to win,” said Ndlozi.

He added: “I’m always part of the winning team”.

The ad hoc committee is set to battle a court interdict application brought by the remaining SABC Board member, Chair Professor Mbulaheni Maguvhe.

Maguvhe wants Parliament’s Ad Hoc Committee to be “disqualified and reconstituted” from conducting the inquiry.

He wants the court order to instruct that the committee on the SABC should be suspended and prohibited from continuing to perform the inquiry.

Last month the SABC board was summoned to account for its controversial appointment of former Chief Operations Officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng to Group Executive of Corporate Affairs.

Following the meeting, the portfolio committee resolved to institute an inquiry into the fitness of the broadcaster’s board.

The ad hoc committee is now set to resume their inquiry next week.

Advertisements

MPs lash out at Mkhwebane for refusing to participate in the SABC inquiry

The Parliamentary Ad Hoc Committee has slammed Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane for refusing to appear in front of the committee members to defend the report on Ethics and Governance.

The ad hoc committee which is set to resume its inquiry on the fitness of the SABC board to hold office requested a number of individuals including Mkhwebane to participate in the inquiry.

However committee members lamented of the manner in which Mkhwebane responded to the parliament’s invite to have her to participate in the inquiry.

Democratic Alliance (DA)’s Phumzile van Damme said she is worried about Mkhwebane’s response to the committee.

“Reading through the correspondence I am very, very worried about the manner in which she has responded to the committee,” said van Damme.

“At first she said she doesn’t understand why this ad hoc committee is continuing with its work when there is only one board member left and then she said it is really her prerogative to decide whether  or not she must come to parliament, and now  she suggest that her staff member mustn’t  appear in front of camera’s,”she added.

Van Damme said lashed out at Mkhwebane and said the committee should not agree with her correspondence and added the Public Protector’s report is in the public domain and Mkhwebane’s office should be able to defend and speak about the report.

Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) Mbuyiseni Ndlozi said Mkhwebane has addressed them in a disrespectful manner

“The new Public protector must be told in no equivocal terms that this is the institution that constitutionally she reports to, if this institution wants her t come and speak on certain matter, unfortunately it part of her job description to appear,” said Ndlozi.

He then firmly said “the Parliament is her boss, Finish and Klaar!”.

The Ad hoc committee earlier on Tuesday held a preparatory meeting for the SABC meeting and there, they resolved that they are now going to summon individuals and public institutions that are refusing to participate in the inquiry.

The SABC inquiry is set to begin on Tuesday at 2pm.

By Senzile Kubheka

ANC veterans urge ANC MPs to support DA’s Motion against Zuma

African National Congress (ANC) veterans have urged ANC Members of Parliament to vote with the Democratic Alliance on their Motion of No Confidence against President Jacob Zuma.

ANC stalwart and member of the uMkhonto weSizwe high command, Mavuso Msimang said the motion is an opportunity for the ANC mps who want to run the organisation accordingly.

“When our President gets so errant you would expect that a living organisation would find a way of gracefully removing him,” said Msimanga

“On the NEC there are people who want the ANC to run according to its traditional values, they’re drowned by a cacophony of noise that’s coming from people who have everything to lose if Zuma went. So will find ourselves having to oppose the DA because it’s the DA, yes I would say we should vote for the removal of this person,” he added.

DA’s Motion of No Confidence against Zuma confirmed

The DA is set to continue with their Motion of No Confidence in President Jacob Zuma debate.

DA Chief Whip John Steenhuisen confirmed that National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete had decided to schedule the debate, he said he received a written confirmation from Parliament.

This follows after the Party said it would resort to legal actions since the Parliament had failed to schedule their debate.

The DA’s no confidence debate was ignited by the release of the State Capture report which has implicated that the President has some shady dealings with the controversial Gupta family.

Following the release of the report and its revelations, African National Congress members, Opposition parties and civil society groups have been calling on Zuma to resign.

DA leader Mmusi Maimane said: “This is not a DA motion. This is not an ANC motion. This is a non-partisan motion that affords all 400 members of Parliament the opportunity to either speak for the people, or to protect Jacob Zuma and his corruption. The President was elected by Parliament, and thus must be removed by Parliament”.

The motion of no confidence debate is scheduled to take place on Thursday.

Maine accuses Madonsela of being a DA ‘puppet’

The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) has accused Former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela of being an alliance with the Democratic Alliance (DA).

This accusation follows after the State Capture report compiled by Madonsela implicated ANCYL President Collen Maine in have a link with the Gupta family.

The report revealed that Maine has been linked with the family and also claimed that the Gupta family has financed the leader’s home.

The youth league on Monday held a briefing to present their National Working Committee (NWC) statement.

ANCYL Leader Mlondi Mkhize said they are shocked that their leader and ANC Secretary General Gwede Mantashe are implicated in the report.

“It is our considered view that the two comrades are not even members of any state institution  but were called to account to the then Public Protector about state capture,” said Mkhize.

Maine then said this was Madonsela’s ploy to discredit the ANC and promote the DA

“It is becoming lucid that the report was a DA sanctioned mission with the intention of casting aspersions to the ANC leadership in government and in the organization,” said the Leader.

“It is our considered view that the then Public Protector did what she did with the intention of launching the DA campaign ahead of 2019 National and provincial government elections,” said Maine.

“This has been confirmed by the resignation of the CEO of the public protector office to take a post with the DA in Tshwane municipality,” he added.

Last week the public protector’s office confirmed on Wednesday that its Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Louisa Zondo, handed in her resignation.

The office said Zondo cited “personal matters” as a reason for her departure.

On the other hand the Maine urged current Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane to take the State capture report on a judicial review, saying the report undermines the Public Protector office.

“We further call on her to take all the necessary steps in restoring the stature of the Public Protector’s Office, even if it means laying complaints or opening cases against the out gone Public Protector to the most appropriate authorities and/or platforms,” said Maine.

Maine called on Mkhwebane to be careful of the staff that previously worked with Madonela.

“We request that you relook into the individuals in your office,” said Maine.

“We want to wish the ”drama queen” well in her new DA endeavours, for now may she rest in peace,” he added.

“I’m here to disturb the peace of the white man”- Malema

Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema has vowed to disturb the peace of “white man” until land is returned back to black South Africans.

Malema said black South Africans have never known peace because of all the land issues they have and are experiencing.

“They found peaceful Africans when they came here! They slaughtered them! We are here to demand our peace, Land!,” said Malema.

“Revolution is about disturbing the peace of those who are swimming in a peaceful environment through exploitation… they’ve been living in peace on our land while we never knew peace,” he added.

Malema on Monday addressed the masses that came to support him following his appearance at the Newcastle Magistrates’ court on two charges relating to the contravention of the Riotous Assemblies Act.

Malema was released on a warning, however the Leader and his party still maintained their call for land occupation despite the charges.

Malema then said they got him arrested because he threatened the peace of, he also said the ruling party values whites more than blacks.

“They called us here because we disturbed the peace of white people! No one dares touch white people,” said the Leader.

“This country is still in the hands of white people. I do not serve white masters! I’m here to disturb the peace of the white man! We have never known peace,” said Malema.

He added he will halt in his quest to get land for all black South African, as South African heroes: “Steve Biko, Nelson Mandela, were jailed because they disturbed the peace of white people!”

While dozens of EFF members showed up to support their Leader, a few individuals were spotted wearing African National Congress (ANC) T-shirts.

Malema said about them:”the people of the ANC who are here are not here to support Malema but to say, “We want the land!”.