DA lashes out at Zuma for setting an Inter-Ministerial Committee to probe Melefe’s return

DA lashes out at Zuma for setting an Inter-Ministerial Committee to probe Melefe’s return

The Democratic Alliance (DA) has lashed out at President Jacob Zuma for setting up an Inter-Ministerial Committee to “gather facts” about the return of Brian Molefe to Eskom.

DA’s Shadow Minister of Public Enterprises, Natasha Mazzone said Zuma has proven that he undermines the Parliament by setting up a Ministerial Task Team that consists of “all Ministers firmly behind Zuma, and many with their own reputations of being captured”.

“Zuma’s announcement that an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) will be established to investigate the very serious problems at Eskom, rather than Parliament, as the body mandated to oversee and ensure the smooth running of the entity, has flatly undermined Parliament,” said Mazzone.

“The President is clearly deathly scared of the evidence which will emerge from a full-scale and transparent Parliamentary Inquiry,” added Mazzone.

Zuma on Thursday decided to set up an inter-ministerial committee to “gather facts” about Brian Molefe’s return to Eskom.

Zuma on Thursday announced that he will set up an IMC to assist in gathering facts about the return of Molefe to the parastatal.

In a statement released by the presidency, Zuma said the presidency together with his cabinet is concerned by what is happening at Eskom.

“Cabinet is concerned about the recent developments at Eskom. Cabinet appreciates that the matter regarding the re-employment of Mr Brian Molefe as the Chief Executive Officer of Eskom is before courts and in Parliament, and shall therefore respect these processes,” said the Presidency.

The IMC set by the president is made up of: Ministers of Public Enterprises, Lynne Brown, Energy, Mmamoloko Kubayi, Finance, Malusi Gigaba, and Justice and Correctional services, Michael Masutha.

Two weeks ago, Molefe resigned as an ANC MP and returned to the power utility as CEO. He had resigned in November 2016 after he was named in the public protector’s State of Capture report.

Earlier on Thursday, Brown announced an inquiry into alleged corruption at Eskom. It would likely be conducted the Special Investigating Unit and overseen by a judge.

Briefing reporters before her budget debate, Brown said since South Africa first experienced rolling blackouts in 2007, there had been at least seven investigations into alleged maladministration and corruption at the utility. Several of these were commissioned by Eskom’s board and they culminated in the State of Capture report, which was released in November last year.

By Senzile Kubheka

Zuma predict they will win 2019 elections because of “God”

President Jacob Zuma has adamantly said the African National Congress (ANC) will win what might be the highly contested 2019 elections because of God.

Zuma was addressing ANC supporters in Limpopo when he said the ANC will win the elections with a “great” margin as God was on their side.

“We will win the 2019 elections with a great margin. Because the ANC is on the side of god. And god is on the side of the ANC,” said Zuma.

This was the first time the President has associated the ANC with God’s favour, in 2008 Zuma declared that the ANC would rule “until Jesus comes back”.

In 2016 he again declared the same statement and said that folks need to make peace with the fact that the ANC will rule until the son of God returns.

“I hear people complaining when we say the ANC will rule fully until Jesus comes back but we have been blessed. Pastors have prayed for us,” he said.

During the celebration in Limpopo on Sunday, Zuma said there are people who enjoy criticising the ANC.

“No matter how badly some speak of the ANC they come from the ANC and left as they couldn’t carry the ANC forward,” said Zuma.

He then said it should however come as no surprise that the ANC had made some mistakes in the past, but assured people that they are working on rectifying their mistakes.

Zuma ‘mistakenly misses’ a paragraph on Veterans in his speech

On what might have been his last January 8th Statement, President Jacob Zuma proved once more that he doesn’t acknowledge the group of African National Congress (ANC) Stalwarts.

The ANC on Sunday celebrated its 105th birthday in Orlando Stadium. Zuma delivered his speech, and in his speech he ‘missed’ the part where the ANC thanks the veterans for participating in assisting the party.

However in a statement sent to media houses, Zuma acknowledges the Stalwarts and also calls on them to be more active.

“The ANC Veterans League must be a source of wisdom and guidance for the Movement. Veterans are the repository of years of organisational wisdom and knowledge and the ANC can only benefit when veterans and stalwarts take a more active role in shaping the next generation of leaders,” reads the statement.

“We call on our veterans and stalwarts to become more active in the structures of the Movement and, in particular, to become more active in political education at all levels of our organisation,” said the statement.

However contradictory to the statement, in November 2016 after the Veterans emerged with calls to have Zuma removed out of office, Zuma lashed out at the stalwarts and said the group appeared not to know the process of raising concerns in the ANC.

“Some of these people I have not seen since 1994 and all of a sudden they appear out of nowhere calling press conferences to express their concerns about our party. They are very vocal indeed. Most of them do not even belong to party structures and are encouraging actions which they have always been against in the past, namely speaking about the organisation outside its structures. They are using the name of veterans in justifying what they are doing,” said Zuma.

Stalwarts set to ‘review’ Zuma’s January 8 statement

ANC stalwarts are expected to meet on Tuesday to discuss the party’s 8 January statement, and possibly receive a progress report on the preparation for a consultative conference.

Last year the group of 101 stalwarts emerged and demanded that the ANC must remove Zuma out of office and promote unity among the organisation.

The Stalwarts then signed a document titled “For the Sake of Our Future” in the document, the group listed their concerns and resolutions. One of the group’s resolutions was for the ANC to hold an early consultative conference to elect new leadership.

That led to a meeting with top ANC leaders‚ with a promise to have a follow-up meeting about the stalwarts’ concerns.

And today the veterans are set to state their opinions on Zuma’s statement and receive the latest updates in regard with the concerns they have once raised.

“A divided ANC will never stand”-cope

The Congress of the People (COPE) slammed President Jacob Zuma calling for unity within the African National Congress (ANC).

This follows after Zuma on Sunday during the party’s 105th birthday celebration vowed to bring change within the ANC.

COPE’s Spokesperson Dennis Bloem said it is “ironic” that the individual that destroyed the ANC is now calling for unity within the organisation.

“It is ironic that the man calling for unity of the ANC is the very man who divides the party. It is during his term as ANC President that the party had two breakaways, COPE and the EFF, with the possibility of the party having a third breakaway party lurking in the horizon,” said Bloem.

Bloem then expressed his disapproval of Zuma’s speech by saying his speech was empty and full of “old rhetoric about the history of the ANC”.

He went on to say the speech had no clear plans of tackling serious issues and added the ANC has lost its direction and credibility as the governing party.

“The once powerful respected liberation movement has lost credibility among the people,” said the Spokesperson.

Bloem questioned why the ANC had changed the venue for its 105 birthday celebration.

“Since after the unbanning of the ANC in 1990, they had all the time gathered at the FNB stadium and had no difficulty to fill it to capacity,” said Bloem

“It is so sad that the ANC is making a big noise about filling-up the Orlando Stadium with a capacity of 40,000 far smaller than the FNB stadium which is more than double the size of Orlando stadium,” he added.

Bloem then called on the ANC leadership to accept that Zuma has become a “liability” to the organisation. And warned that with the dwindling support the organisation is facing, it will soon fall and disappear.

EFF slams ANC for celebrating the Constitution

The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) has lashed out at the African National Congress (ANC) for celebrating the Constitution saying they have done everything to “undermine and undo it”.

EFF Spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi said the ANC no longer has the moral authority and legitimacy to celebrate the constitution, he added they no longer have the ethical standing to lead society in terms of principles, values and objectives of the constitution.

“Therefore, in marking the twenty years of our Democratic Constitution, we call on the people of South Africa to embrace the true gain of the constitution which is the right to vote and unshackle the destiny of the country from the degenerate and corrupt ANC,” said Ndlozi.

On Saturday a group of EFF members disrupted President Jacob Zuma during a celebration which was held in Sharpeville to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the signing the Constitution.

Ndlozi said they disrupted the occasion because the ANC and Zuma have failed to respect and uphold the Constitution.

“It is a fact, however, that in the past five years of the ANC Zuma rule, the democratic ideal of the rule of law has been eroded. On two occasions, the ANC government violated the rule of law by ignoring rulings of the Constitutional court,” said Ndlozi.

Democratic Alliance (DA) Leader Mmusi Maimane said it is a shame that Zuma and the ANC only work in “antithesis” to the Constitution.

“It is therefore a shame that President Jacob Zuma, who derives his authority from the Constitution, has been found to have undermined and violated that which he swore, before the people of South Africa, to protect, uphold and defend,” said Maimane.

“The drafters of the highest law in the land never foresaw that such a compromised and corrupt individual would be entrusted with bringing the Constitution to life,” he added.

ANC veterans urge ANC MPs to support DA’s Motion against Zuma

African National Congress (ANC) veterans have urged ANC Members of Parliament to vote with the Democratic Alliance on their Motion of No Confidence against President Jacob Zuma.

ANC stalwart and member of the uMkhonto weSizwe high command, Mavuso Msimang said the motion is an opportunity for the ANC mps who want to run the organisation accordingly.

“When our President gets so errant you would expect that a living organisation would find a way of gracefully removing him,” said Msimanga

“On the NEC there are people who want the ANC to run according to its traditional values, they’re drowned by a cacophony of noise that’s coming from people who have everything to lose if Zuma went. So will find ourselves having to oppose the DA because it’s the DA, yes I would say we should vote for the removal of this person,” he added.

DA’s Motion of No Confidence against Zuma confirmed

The DA is set to continue with their Motion of No Confidence in President Jacob Zuma debate.

DA Chief Whip John Steenhuisen confirmed that National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete had decided to schedule the debate, he said he received a written confirmation from Parliament.

This follows after the Party said it would resort to legal actions since the Parliament had failed to schedule their debate.

The DA’s no confidence debate was ignited by the release of the State Capture report which has implicated that the President has some shady dealings with the controversial Gupta family.

Following the release of the report and its revelations, African National Congress members, Opposition parties and civil society groups have been calling on Zuma to resign.

DA leader Mmusi Maimane said: “This is not a DA motion. This is not an ANC motion. This is a non-partisan motion that affords all 400 members of Parliament the opportunity to either speak for the people, or to protect Jacob Zuma and his corruption. The President was elected by Parliament, and thus must be removed by Parliament”.

The motion of no confidence debate is scheduled to take place on Thursday.

Zuma to be grilled in Parliament

President Jacob Zuma is set to appear before the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) to answer oral questions from opposition parties.

The President will come face to face with the opposition in parliament and is expected to answer questions about the investigation against Finance Minister Pravin Godhan and about its disastrous consequences on the country’s economic stability.

Earlier this month, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), confirmed that Gordhan was served with a summons and will be charged and prosecuted for fraud.

The NPA said the Minister is charged for approving early retirement for South African Revenue Service (Sars) suspended deputy commissioner Ivan Pillay.

Recently, Justice Minister Michael Masutha revealed that he and Zuma knew long ago that the Finance Minister was going to be prosecuted for fraud.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) said they will be questioning why the charges were brought at such a crucial time for the country.

On the other hand At least 80 heads of top South African firms including Anglo American, Barclays Africa Group and Naspers want fraud charges against Gordhan to be dropped.

The corporate leaders joined opposition parties, analysts, and top leaders inside the ruling African National Congress, including Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, who have publicly expressed support for Gordhan.

Masutha reveals Zuma was aware of Gordhan’s prosecutions

 

Justice Minister Michael Masutha revealed that He and President Jacob Zuma were made aware of Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan’s prosecution a long time ago.

Masutha’s revelation comes after it was known that National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Head Shaun Abrahams met with Zuma at Luthuli House a day before Abrahams announced that the Gordhan will be facing charges of theft, corruption and fraud.

Abrahams said the Justice Minister invited him to meet with Zuma at Luthuli House, he added the reason for the meeting was to discuss the Fees Must Fall crisis and not the case against Gordhan.

Masutha also said there was nothing improper about the meeting between the president and Abrahams. He adamantly said the meeting was to discuss the Fees Must Fall saga and not Gordhan.

“Did I think about the venue? I just thought the National Director of Public Prosecutions has the liberty to enter any building and to attend a meeting as long as that meeting is not illegal,” said Masutha.

When questioned about the place which the meeting took place, Masuthat said the venue didn’t matter because the meeting was not for the African National Congress.

“I don’t think it really matters what really matters is, was it an ANC part political meeting or not, the answer is no,” said Masutha.

Masutha, then said he was surprised at the controversy surrounding the meeting and where is was held.

ANCYL calls for the ANC NEC structure to be revised

The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) has called for ANC’s National Executive Committee (NEC) structure to be revised, following the poor election results.

ANCYL Secretary General Njabulo Nzuza said they believe that there is a need to reduce the size of the NEC to make it more efficient and effective and allow space for it to take decisions with speed and reduce the bossy behaviour.

“There is a need to change the design of the top 6 officials and allow for Two full time Deputy Secretary Generals. We strongly believe that we must have a DSG for Organisational Development and Organizing to deal with building of structures of the ANC and building organisational capacity,” said Nzuza.

Nzuza then called on the NEC of the party to go to an early uncontested conference in a bid to have a frank dialogue about the party’s fortunes and rediscover its glory again.

“The early conference must not be contested and there is a need to introduce Young leaders to the officials and the overall leadership contingent of the ANC,” said Nzuzo.

The ANCYL’s calls come after the ANC failed to gain majority in municipalities including Nelson Mandela Bay, Tshwane, Johannesburg and Ekurhuleni and lost to the opposition the Democratic Alliance.

Nzuza then called on the Party to do an internal introspection and not cast doubt on each other but note that the “glorious movement” of our people is under blockade.

“This is not a time for populism but a time for the ANC to regenerate itself…This is a time to stand hand in hand and believe in each other because the enemy is united,” said the Secretary General.

He then reiterated and stood with the ANC that President Jacob Zuma will rule until the end of his term.

“There are those who are opportunistic and lack thinking capacity who say the bad performance on elections is because of President Zuma. We would like to categorically put it clear that attributing the poor performance to a single person is opportunistic and lacks honesty. President Zuma is the president of the ANC and will remain so till the next national conference of the ANC,” said Nzuza.

By Senzile Kubheka